Blaenhonddan is situated just outside Neath in South Wales, about 10 miles to the east of Swansea, and 3 miles from Junction 43 of the M4 Motorway. It is well situated for people wishing to take advantage of facilities in Swansea Bay area, and a range of attractions in the wider area, including the Neath Valley, Brecon Beacons National Park, and the Gower Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
As well as being accessible from the M4 Motorway and the Neath Valley along the A465, Blaenhonddan is also well connected to the nearby town of Neath and the Swansea Valley along the A474. The nearest mainline rail station is situated in Neath with direct links to Swansea, Cardiff and London Paddington.
There are six villages in Blaenhonddan – Aberdulais, Cilfrew, Cadoxton, Caewern, Waunceirch and Bryncoch – each with a distinctive character, with a range of local facilities which include the Council’s community centres and playgrounds. Just across the river from Blaenhonddan, Neath provides a wide range of shopping, cultural and leisure activities.
With a population of nearly 11,000, Blaenhonddan has five primary schools in the villages of Cilfrew, Cadoxton, Waunceirch and Bryncoch, and is also served by Dwr y Felin and Llangatwg Comprehensive Schools. Welsh medium education is provided at Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Castell Nedd and at Ysgol Gyfun Ystalyfera.
As well as being an attractive rural area with many public footpaths, Blaenhonddan has a rich past, with evidence of its industrial, religious, social and settlement history still to be found. There are plentiful opportunities to enjoy this history and some splendid views as you walk around the area.
The Community Council has been an important part of the life of this community since 1894 and its records, retained at the West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Civic Centre Swansea, provide a useful source of reference to the past. This website provides a new source of information for the present and a valuable resource for the future.